Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Indecent proposal... what, already?

Okay, for all you folks hanging on to hear the latest, you’re wait is over.

This morning included a rather fruitless call to a local dealership who was listed as an Arai dealer to see if they had a clear shield for me. After I repeated to the sales gal for the third time that the helmet is made by Arai and she responded with, “Well, we sell Harley helmets. Do you know if Arai makes them?” I chose to end the call and saddle up for Daytona.

Here’s my shout out to the folks at Cycle Gear in Daytona (thanks for your help Kelly). They hooked me up with a new clear shield and a rain suit.

All you people giving me stink-eye thinking I didn’t bring a rain suit, just stop it! I brought one, but I figured one that didn’t have duct tape on it might be better :)

Jennifer was sorry I had to drive all the way to Daytona for the shield, but I explained that if I hadn’t made the 180 mile journey, I would have missed my opportunity to be propositioned at Florida highway speeds.

Riders will recognize this roadway behavior right away. You pass someone and in a matter of miles they pass you slowly or pull up and ride along for a moment. So, I casually looked over at the truck and the two men inside and returned their wave. Miles, more miles, and we continue to trade spaces. Next time the passenger had his window down and he was signaling me with his cell phone and then pointed to his buddy. “Do I know these guys?” I wondered. I’ve had the great pleasure of meeting folks all over the country, it’s possible, but they didn’t look familiar. So I give them the “wait a minute” signal and pull into the second lane. They pulled into the slow lane and pulled beside me, the driver with his window down this time. He signaled with his cell phone again and mouthed, “What’s your number?” and “Let’s talk.” Ah, now I know I don’t know them. Both of the guys were smiling like idiots and I couldn’t help but smile myself. I shook my head and then the driver held up his left hand and pointed to his naked ring finger mouthing, “I’m not married.” I promptly responded by pointing to myself and nodding. Looking a bit dejected the driver and passenger threw up their hands, smiled even more broadly, and pulled ahead. I’m guessing somewhere along the passing back and forth the guys in the truck figured out I’m a girl, ‘cause Florida isn’t known for being too gay friendly… thanks Anita. But then, Jennifer might have wished that I met up with the guys. The truck was pulling a beautiful boat and I’m not talking about no bass boat.

Okay, I’m back in Jacksonville and the bike is packed. I’m off to dinner soon and will not be posting until… well, hopefully when I get back to Jacksonville after a successful run. There’s one other rider trying to make the CCC100. He just did his first SaddleSore last month and is on a bunch of new equipment on a new to him FJR. Please add Tony to your well wishes list. We’ll both need it :)

Cheers y’all!

5 comments:

  1. What - 2 guys AND a boat?! And I'm thinkin' Daytona and one of those beautiful Miami Vice, cigar cruiser type boats......droool.....

    Still, better safe than sorry. Her mama taught her some good life skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! That happens to me all the time!!!
    ;-)~
    I'll be thinking about you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a good ride. I'll look forward to following along via your blog.
    Claye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe travels. Really wanted to see you off tonight, but still getting over the stomach flu. Hopefully, the timing will work out that I can welcome you back into town on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot believe you were in Daytona, right down the street in fact, and did not call me!!! But I'm glad you got the new shield and a rain suit, both of which you will probably need. Stay safe. Blessings, Virginia

    ReplyDelete