Saturday, September 5, 2009

Gauntlet thrown?!

New rubber and fresh oil ... the bike is ready to go. Now it's just up to the mental preparation.

While at Morton's BMW I ran into Paul Taylor (2003 Iron Butt Rally champion). He asked how I planned to run the 100CCC. I must be a bit slow, 'cause it took me a second to realize he was asking me how many hours I plan to take to ride from FL to CA. When I paused, Paul suggested 35 or 36 hours. Um, WHAT?! Not wanting to look too off, I said I was planning on a more leisurely ride and would shoot for 40 some odd hours. At that Paul gave me, dare I say, a bit of an evil smile. "You know, so-in-so rode it in 36 hours. If you take more than 36 hours, you're a wimp!"

Okay, I'm mentally set now too. No WAY am I shooting for 36 hours - it's a sucker bet :)
Nice try Paul.

Leaving Sunday evening headed to the start in Jacksonville, FL.

2 comments:

  1. Will see you in Jax! Ride safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell Jennifer she is welcome to stay at our house here in San Antonio. It would be a great place to do the blog from.

    ReplyDelete