Friday, September 18, 2009

And the winner is....

the Kids !!!

You all are amazing. I just worked up my donation totals and you were so generous. Figuring I rode over 4,700 miles between Florida and California, the donation is over 10 cents a mile. Quick math will tell you... $500 even is the grand total.

And here's another ride story for you. So we all dribble in Saturday evening. Tony (the other 100CCC rider) and I come in within about 15 minutes of each other, but about two hours before any other riders. Eventually we all get to the hotel and begin doing our ride paperwork. I’ve got a bunch of receipts and forms for four different rides (100CCC, 50CC, Bun Burner 1500, and Bun Burner Gold) so I go up to the front desk to borrow the stapler. A woman checking in asks if I was on the ride too (I'm thinkin' the stink and road grim on the one-piece riding suit might have given me away). Before I can answer, one of the other riders declares that I did not just ride, but spanked everyone while riding twice as much as everyone else. At this point, I'm blushing, but also grinning at the generous words of my fellow riders. After finding out that the woman checking in is a new rider, we talk a bit and the inevitable question comes up, "why?" One thing I've learned, some folks will get the idea of the challenge and experience, but others will not. For those folks, I've found that telling them that it's for charity helps it make sense for them.

After saying our good nights and heading our separate ways, the woman literally turns around and comes halfway back down the hall. "Can you take a check?" Heck yeah! And the next thing I know I'm adding another amount to the donation total. Folks from both coasts donated to the kids. I cannot tell you how proud I was to have you all riding along with me. What an honor.

More ride stories to come (like how I ran out of gas ... twice) and pictures too. So, don't go too far away.

Cheers everyone :)

1 comment: