Monday, August 2, 2010

A Week Away...

and I'm just a wee bit nervous and excited.

This weekend included drilling out a water cooler to add a drinking hose. It takes a fraction of the time to fill and will keep me from wearing anything on my back (good safety improvement).  While that means I won't be able to blow air into a camelbak, arch my back, and squeeze the bite valve to send a stream of water down my back, I won't be leaving myself to roast.  As I did for the 100CCC, I'll strap a cooler onto the passenger seat where I can have V-8 juices iced and at my fingertips.  The newly drilled hydration system will also fit so it'll have ice on the inside and out.  Then, I can dip my hand into the icy water and then pat myself down to get a little Iron Butt AC going on the bike :)

One thing that will be missing is an auxiliary fuel cell.  I got focused on other things to get "the" system I wanted so now I'll just have to go without.  Not a killer, but here's what I'll have to add to the mix when I'm routing.  A lot of folks say, "Don't worry.  You won't really ride 250 miles without stopping anyway."  While that may be true (and more often it's not), the real issue is not being able to find a station when it's needed.  At ~50mph I can stretch out my fuel to go 300 or so miles.  If I'm out west somewhere or in western Canada and am able to actually tank-up at 10pm... (quick bit of math: 300 miles/50 mph = 6 hours) will I be able to find a station open at 4am or even before in order to top up and keep going?  So, my routing will need to take into account even more when I'll need fuel, if there are stations there, and if the station will be open when I need it.  It's all part of being in rally mode.


Those who followed along on the 100CCC ride will recall the stellar job Jennifer did posting trip reports.  I'm hoping to be able to check in with her to share stories along the way, but know that it might not be possible.  So, here are a few things to look for.

I've already set-up my tracker pages >>> just over there on the right of the page.  Until I start traveling that portion of the ride, you'll get a message that there are no posts if you click the link.  That's normal - it's not broken.  Also, the association usually does write-ups daily during the rally.  I'm guessing they'll be doing them this time and posted on the Iron Butt Rally website, but I'll try to post any updated information I receive on following the event.  While I don't expect to see my rookie name anywhere in them (and I don't want it to be listed for all the wrong reasons), it is great reading and I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in this kind of insanity.  The past year's rally reports were listed as required reading for the IB5k.

Finally, I'm compiling a list of folks I can call while on the road.  During the 100CCC it was great knowing that Richard was working night shift and I could call him at all hours.  And I did, just to hear a friendly voice and to be reminded that I can do it.  Sage advice, a listening ear, that kind of stuff is important.  So, if you are someone who'd like to be on the call list, drop me a note.  Assistance with the rally is prohibited, but me calling to whine, cry, or cuss is not!  Since this is an open blog, please don't leave any phone numbers in the comment section.  If you think I've got your email, I'll contact you off-blog to get call information and times you're available.  If you know I don't have anyway to contact you, please go to my facebook site and send me a fb message with the info.

Thanks for being there and thanks for being a part of my preparations.  The wait is almost over!

August 9:  Leave for Denver, CO
August 11-14: IBA National Meet
August 15: Iron Butt 5000 Rally check-in and tech inspection
August 16: Inaugural Iron Butt 5000
August 21: Final Check-in, Spartanburg, SCAugust 22; Head home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment