Monday, June 30, 2014

Time... it's an Illusion!

Let the countdown begin!  Upon logging into a social media site early this morning I saw one of those on-line clocks that one can set to a certain time.  It figures out the amount of time between now and the time you prescribe.  This clock is set to Monday, June 29, 2015 at 10:00:00 (Albuquerque, NM). 

Already know what this refers to?  Yep, the 2015 Iron Butt Rally.  While a rider needs to be on-site several days before the start, this is the published start date/time for the rally.

That's less than one year away!!!  And no, I am not prepared, but I'm working on it.  On the "to do" list is getting the bike gone over inch by inch.  George with Beemer Uber Alles was and will be my go-to guy.  He is not only a VERY talented BMW mechanic, but he also gets long distances on motorcycles.  During one service he felt the most minor of clicks when he spun my front wheel.  Diagnosis?  The extreme early stage of ball barring failure.  For most riders this would be no cause for action, but George knows I ride a bit and so replaced the failing part saving me for a potential roadside fiasco.

I also need to practice routing and "seeing" connections between boni to make the best route I can safely run.  There's routine to this, but there's also a bit of art.  Will taking a rest at 9pm and getting the daylight only bonus tomorrow be the best choice or should I travel on for a little longer, leaving the daylight bonus behind for other stops ahead?  There may be a "right" answer, but road construction, fatigue, mechanical issues may make that impossible.  Knowing what to do as the "next best option" is what rally routing can often be all about.

As a refresher, I'm going to go back to my rookie IBR run and see what I can learn.  The stories archived from the summer of 2011 are still here in this blog.  I'll be looking at those and invite you to do the same and share your thoughts.  There are also a few fun pictures from the rally to laugh at as well.

Cheers until next time...




“Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

No comments:

Post a Comment