Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hookin' up with Hoagy


Got a phone call from the ride host, Robert "Hoagy" Carmichael. Funny guy. Got some pointers and will definitely be staying in JAX the night of the 12th :)


I need to be at the starting point gas station 30 minutes before the ride begins. Right now, there's only ... maybe 5 or 6 other riders leaving from FL to do the 100CCC. We are still a bit away, so numbers could change.


Strategy? Well, Hoagy's just kept repeating to me, "don't over think it." Yeah, how the heck did he figure me out so quickly?! But then, he said there were stretches that have very few gas stations and reminded me to call the stations to be sure they'd be open at 0'dark what ever... now how can a girl do that if I don't plan out every stop?


So much for not over thinking it. Pardon me as I sign off to go figure out my gas stops along the 2,355 each way route. FYI, Hoagy told me that Van Horn, TX is the 1,500 mile point. Why is this important? Well, there's the little thing call the Bun Burner Gold. The goal is to be able to safely traverse that distance (1,500 miles) in 24 hours. Coming back, the town is Winnie, TX. What do you think? Try and go for two BBG's in one ride?


Nope - not going to plan on it. Going to wait and see how I feel along the way and what comes at me along the ride. Com' on y'all... I'm not that crazy - um - or am I ;)


And one final note for all those BMW riders. Hoagy told me there was one thing he was worried about. He hopes I don't lose my final drive... yeah, this coming from a guy who's had to replace his differential gear on his '09 Harley twice. Well, he does have 40,000 mile on it already.


Okay, this is the final note. Pledges are way down from previous years. It's a rough time with the economy. If you can give, even just a little, drop me a note and I'll add you to the pledge list. And thanks to those who've already been able to give.


CHEERS ALL!

1 comment:

  1. Kirsten - good luck to you! I've got one BBG under my butt and one SS1000. I looked into this ride myself but didn't have the time for it this year.

    KUDOS and best of luck to you! You can do it!!

    And yes, I've heard from other IBA folks those final drives y'all got just suck!

    Tammy Jenkins
    Co-District Director
    Florida/S.AL Motor Maids

    ReplyDelete