Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Aaaannd We’re Back

With a smiley face text after midnight and two more bing bongs from SPOT (or as I like to call it, my little orange angel on the bike) at 2 a.m. and 4 a.m., I knew Kirsten was in better cell range and had been able to receive my texts (texts like, “Banff baby!” and “You’re mom says hi!”).  I’ve also been telling her about all the well wishes from you faithful readers – she sends it right back 'atcha with a HUGE shout out to you and thanks.  In those quiet miles, it really helps to know that people are cheering.  As I’ve said before – rallying is a solo sport that takes a team.

Speaking of shout outs – we got a mention in the Butt Lite blog yesterday (aw shucks)!    It’s a timely nod because I was trying to figure out how to tell you the awesome place that Kirsten went to today.  But, since half the field also went there according to the public Spotwalla…Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.  Quite possibly one of the most beautiful places to come over a mountain and see.  I remember doing just that after my first season at Glacier National Park, when I thought I couldn’t see anything more pretty – and there was Coeur d’Alene.  It made me smile to see her SPOT there. 

AND THEN – I found this incredible workout video!  (No really, stay with me.)  People always wonder how riders can keep up with the miles and a huge part is fitness.  This is an endurance sport after all.  If you want to be able to walk after a rally, you need to build up that core strength, stamina, and well, that iron butt.  On long rides, Kirsten stands on her pegs and shakes her legs; reaches the top case behind her to stretch out her arms, shoulders, release the neck; and rolls her feet to keep the circulation going.  Bike yoga.  But this awesome series of workout videos by the Coeur d’Alene Tribe just might have to be a new addition to the regimen.  What a workout in 3 minute bursts! Pow Wow Sweat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlfVPjeb1Xo

That being said, sometimes a stomach bug just catches you and makes you feel sick all day so that you’ve taken frequent rest breaks and are going to get into the checkpoint a little later than planned.  But even while Kirsten was telling me that particular tale, she was also bemoaning the traffic that was slowing her ETA to the final bonus she wants to grab before getting to Reno.  Coconut water from the tank bag really is the magic rehydration, re-electrolyte-balancing miracle drink. 


As we’re closing in on the final hours of Leg 1, we can see the paths of riders moving towards the barn (and food, and rest, and scoring).  Everyone needs to be in by (before!) the checkpoint closes at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow morning.  So stand up, take a few laps around the couch, and get ready for the reports from Reno at the end of Leg 1.

5 comments:

  1. Go Kirsten! So much fun to follow along with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a book being written in the future.
    Feel better and stay strong����

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!!!!! Thanks Jenn...I had the pleasure of a brief visit in those Canadian Rockies....Glacier is MYPARK! Go KTs!!!sMiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up Kirsten! Way to get Leg 1 behind you! And Pow Wow Sweat had me at 3 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why am I not surprised she went for one more bonus before heading in to the checkpoint. I was told that she and I were among the few that stopped for that one last bonus during the 15 IBR. Kirsten because she is that competitive and me because I thought I needed it to finish

    ReplyDelete