Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 9– You Never Ride Alone

The theme of this post here on Day 9 is friends. Kirsten’s tired. I’m tired. And I know that all of you are tired just from keeping up on the updates! This rally, as has been said before, is not only about the riders – it’s about you, me, everyone that forms the support network that makes this ride possible. 

The postings here and on FB have been so supportive – and often humorous! Two of you came to the checkpoint yesterday for cheers while a third tried to catch her in Raleigh (and just missed the blur). A group from work mailed a letter to checkpoint two with inspiring quotes such as, “I hope you still think this was a good idea.” Today, I’ve had no less than four messages and a couple phone calls wondering why Kirsten’s spot stopped for so long and if everything is ok. (She left checkpoint two pretty much after receiving the Leg Three packet last night, and drove all night. The stop today was a rest break thank goodness!) I was in an all day meeting at work, yet I got an update about her location from a friend. And I met up after work with George – fabulous George and his wife- who just arrived from the FL checkpoint. He passed off Kirsten’s spare helmet and riding clothes (which I’m bringing out to her for the trip home). I gave them both a huge hug. They stopped to meet up with me in the middle of a thunderstorm, after a 12 hour drive, before they even went home.


Really, I can’t say enough about the network of friends and family that make each rider’s ride possible.

The other things that help are those odd reminders of your friends. For example, one of our Motor Maids riding buddies always comments that Kirsten stands up on her pegs and rides down the road. In a long line of bikes, all of a sudden, her head will just pop up out of the pack, have a look around and then go back down. (In reality, it’s that iron butt needing a stretch.) So in honor of this phenomenon, our friend gave Kirsten an appropriate riding buddy – a little plastic prairie dog who is currently mounted next to a GPS in her cockpit.
The field has dwindled by two more riders. People are now making tough decisions for themselves, their stamina, their bikes, and the point values for the final leg. Today's IBR report explains the spread better than I can. I will just comment that Jim Frens is an incredible rider that we have had the pleasure of meeting in other rallies. The finish should be very interesting.

Kirsten is currently in 5th place.

State Tally for Leg Three (41 of 48): Florida (for the capital), Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana.

State Tally for Leg Two (36 of 48): Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, (District of Columbia), Virginia, West Virginia (again – this time for the capital bonus points), Kentucky, North and South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

State Tally at End of Leg One (21 of 48): Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and New York.

5 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    I saw Kristin yesterday & she was in such good spirits. I can't tell you how proud I am that she is in 5th place. She has the perfect attitude & it will serve her well over the next few days. It will be over soon. Sorry I can't be at the finish to give you both a hug.

    Lisa Erbes

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll miss you in CA too! Thanks Lisa - it means a lot. I was just reading your post when she called so I read it to her too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw her stopped before Nashville, I imagined that she was determining what the weather was doing and how to best get through it. There were some nasty storms coming across to meet her as she turned west. When that heavy storm passed over us, I figured it was just to give us a taste of what Kirsten was dealing with.

    I had these thoughts as I stood (dry) looking out the window at the trees swaying as the rain hammered down. Probably looked a bit different through her visor...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fleeter- it did. When I talked to her last night that was actually the reason she stopped. Driving rain, which she normally drives through, but didn't want to do when she's tired. Yesterday was rough with storms pretty much all day. She had 3 hour rest last night and hoping for better weather today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! She still has her wits to know that she needed rest and stopped instead of driving through the rain...guessed she didn't want to hear from all "us mommas" when it is all over! I can see her grinning when she hears this...she knows we are worring about her and praising her at the same time. She knows she "has to call in" to you or let you know...that's the rule we stressed to her a long time ago at a PMS weekend.
    Keep the faith Jennifer...think it is harder on you, waiting!

    ReplyDelete