Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 11– E Pluribus Unum

Ok everybody, this country is big. I mean, I spent over 8 hours flying across it this morning, looking out the window the whole time at the beautiful landscape that made up pretty much the states of Leg Three, and I’m telling you- it is a big space! Watching the progress on a digital map has got nothing on flying over it while thinking about the rally. It made me reflect on all those riders out there, who from 30,000 feet, seem very small and alone.


Then I arrived at the final checkpoint, Ontario CA. There were already a few tired riders here a day early, and the IBR staff walking around saying this waiting is the hardest part. I heard, “it feels like I should go boil water for birthin’ this baby,” more than once. Everyone is talking about routes, being cagey about talking about routes, and analyzing everyone’s routes. It’s been wonderful to catch up with friends, and meet people for the first time that I’ve known about through rally circles. Floating around the lobby are IBR staff and volunteers, friends and former top and #1 finishers of the IBR. I haven’t left the hotel yet. These riders are not small and alone – they are incredible and have made big accomplishments in this rally and in the IBR. Out of many – one. Many routes, one rally. Many riders, one IBR. E Pluribus Unum.

Kirsten is doing well. She has just ridden through what she said was the scariest wind storm she has ever ridden through. Weather band radio was beeping warnings- find shelter now- 60 mph winds—of course she got the warning after she was already through it. (Didn't want to take her hand off the handlebars to turn on the radio.)  She’s feeling good and riding like hell. She has just gotten some more water, cleaned her windshield and put more V8 is the tank bag. She said, “There’s no fricking way that I’m not riding the ride I picked out for myself!” That’s what’s expected on the last day of the Iron Butt Rally. My nerves are just holding out for a smooth next 14 or so hours. The riders must be at the checkpoint by 10:00 a.m. (Pacific time) Friday or start accruing penalty points. I can’t wait to see the gathering crowd because there will certainly be more than one rider coming in at the squeak of 10.  As I've been saying all week - Leg Three will be very interesting.

My favorite rally picture of Kirsten.
State Tally for Leg Three (47 of 48): Florida (for the capital), Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah and Wyoming (again), Nevada, and sometime by tomorrow morning- California for 48.

State Tally for Leg Two (36 of 48): Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, (District of Columbia), Virginia, West Virginia (again – this time for the capital bonus points), Kentucky, North and South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

State Tally at End of Leg One (21 of 48): Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and New York.

6 comments:

  1. I heard Kirsten blew through Las Vegas, NM at 7 am - Ron might have seen her on I-25 as he went to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Kirsten! Motor Maids headed opposite way hopefully giving you the "wave" and vibes to back you as much as we can. Great ride and know that when you get your hug from Jennifer it is really from all of us! YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 6am Central Time and you are almost to the finish-line. I am so happy for you and impressed with you - what a sense of adventure. What do you do after a ride like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous is Jenny Barnes. I can't remember my google password. Not enough coffee yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debi- I'm wearing my VA MM shirt this morning for her photo finish. :)
    Jenny- what does she do- we have an appointment at the local BMW shop this afternoon for fresh tires for the trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been watching you almost every hour. Go Kirsten. 3 hours and 30 minutes left and 3 hours 15 minutes of riding to go according to maps. perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete