Friday, May 28, 2010

Learning to Punt....



This is what the motorcycle that I was going to compete on this weekend looks like...

at least the front half...

Yep... I won't be riding my trusty steed for this endurance rally.


I've had this bike barely a year and I nearly cried when I saw this.

I can only imagine what a rider might feel with a bike they'd had even longer...  or that was like this from an accident.

Why is the RT so torn up?  NOT from an accident, but it's actually a good thing.  I waited too long before booking the RT's 36k service and when I noted that the shifting seemed off, the shop (Morton's BMW) took me seriously and looked at the splines.  Not happy with what they found, they requested that they be able to address the maintenance needs and bring her back up to full status again.  Scary looking, yes, but I'm so happy the shop, 1. listened to me, 2. took what I said seriously, 3. during a very busy time took the time to investigate, 4. communicated what they found, 5. is working with corporate to get the issues addressed within warranty, and 6. had what I needed on hand to quickly rig my little bike to be a defacto endurance bike!

So, at 9:30 last night I was pulling the fairing off the F800ST to hardwire in the Garmin Zumo 550 and set-up the audio.  Just before 2AMI packed it in having stayed up to load my planned route into the GPS and do some gathering and re-packing for a bike with substantially different capacity to carry all my junk.

Up again early this morning, the best laid plans from last night/early AM hours came to naught when I tried to load everything onto the smaller motorcycle.  Out when the rally clipboard, replaced by a quart Ziploc bag and clipped in when the Autocom only to find the lead had shrunk some how and now I've got a rather short tether between the bike and my helmet.  I won't be riding with a cocked head, but I don't really have any room to stretch either... guess I'll have lots of stories to share after this ride :)

SPOT tracker seems to be pingging fine from its new perch, so check in tomorrow (~5AM to ~Sun 2PM).
Linky thing:  Spotwalla Page


Oh yeah, here's the back end of the RT

1 comment:

  1. Almost 12 hours now since she left Hagerstown and the Spot Tracker (see the link) shows that she's on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario. Just west of Kingston and heading towards the border crossing at VT/NY. Probably will be a midnight ferry ride and time to catch a few zzzzzs.

    As for me - I've had a lovely day going to antique shops around Hagerstown! The rally staff and I hung out this morning a little and chatted. Heading to dinner shortly. A nice quiet day. See, we both get a little solitary time this weekend (mine's just more stationary).

    Cheers everyone! ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete