Friday, February 5, 2010

No teacher like experience...


Sorry it's been too long since I provided an update, but there's actually been a good amount of prep going on.


Beside the bike (I'll tell you more about that in another log), I've been physically and mentally working on my preparations.


First, three months ago I started working out (bootcamp stuff and yoga). Three weeks ago I added walking/jogging with a goal of doing an 8k in early March. In the past, long days have led to stiff joints because I haven't taken the time to stretch enough. These workouts are giving better tone to my muscles and teaching me more stretching techniques.


And despite the seemingly uncharacteristic wintry weather, I've been riding to work (>40 miles one-way) every day... well, the day after it snowed six inches and there was packed ice covering the two miles to the treated roadway, I accepted a ride into the office, but I've ridden so much, the security personnel finally asked in disbelief one day if I really am on a motorcycle. Yeah, it's been that cold and that much snow.


Yesterday, the guard at the parking lot stopped me to shake my hand and check out the bike. He just started laughing when he realized it was a girl on the bike. What a great smile :)


So, I'm getting physically stronger and mentally building my "can do" spirit. I'll need both to be in high gear come this August!

No comments:

Post a Comment